Michael Jordan simply known as MJ is the greatest basketball player of all time and perhaps the best we will ever see in our times. He is a former basketball player where he used to do it as a profession. MJ is also an American businessman and owner of Charlotte Bobcats.
Being the highest paid basketball player while still in the NBA, his total salary was $93 million. In addition, he has also earned $1.5 billion from other partners. Therefore, Michael Jordan net worth is a subject one can be curious about. Here is more about the legend Michael Jordan net worth in 2018 as well as his journey to what he has become to date.
MJ was born on February 17, 1963 in Brooklyn, New York, to Deloris, a banker and James Jordan an equipment supervisor. While still a minor, his family moved to Wilmington, North Carolina. Michael Jordan wasn’t the only child in their family as he was the fourth child though he had other four siblings two brothers and a sister, Larry Jordan, James Jordan and Deloris and Roslyn Jordan.
Jordan’s father later died from a robbery attempt which left MJ with a great grief from that tragedy. He joined Laney High School in 1979 and followed his passion by joining the basketball team although he was thought to be too short. During his high school irrespective of his low height, he made to prove he’s worthy and his efforts bore fruit as he was a star of Laney’s Junior Varsity, McDonald’s All American Team and others such as South Carolina, Virginia among. In 1981, he studied in the University of North Carolina Tar Heel after receiving a basketball scholarship from the institution.
He is currently married to Yvette Prieto, and they have two children. They have twin daughters namely Victoria and Ysabel born in 2014. Being a successful businesswoman and a model, his wife is a millionaire having a net worth of $1.5 million Although Yvette is also rich the two had to sign an agreement to protect Jordan’s assets before getting married in case he divorced her like his first wife.
Juanita Jordan was the woman who married to Jordan initially, and they had two sons Jeffrey (b.1988) and Marcus (b.1990), and a daughter known as jasmine (b.1992). After divorcing his ex-wife in 2006, he paid a divorce settlement of $168 million making Juanita’s net worth to increase to $170 million.
MJ started his career while still in school and was recruited by various college basketball programs such as Duke, North Carolina, South Carolina, Syracuse, and Virginia. He was sponsored to the university by being given a scholarship where he studied cultural geography.
While still at the University, he played for coach Dean in three seasons, and in 1982 he was the member of the Tar Heels national championship being a freshman. Because of his love for basketball, Jordan did not graduate from university and enter the 1984 NBA draft. He was thereafter selected by the Chicago Bulls by being the third overall. In 1984, MJ won the Naismith and Wooden awards and thereafter started his professional career in 1985 after winning a year award.
It earned him, six NBA championship rings, six NBA Finals MVPs (Most Valuable Player) and he got MVP title five times. Being the NBA MVP for three times, Jordan participated in 14 NBA All-Star Games. He has also been a member of the U.S. Olympic basketball team in 1984 and 1992 and has won two gold medals. Before he retired in 1993, he played for Chicago Bulls winning championships from 1995 to 1998 then he finally retired in January 1999.
His accomplishment also includes him having five MVP awards, ten All-NBA First Team designations; nine All-Defensive First Team honors among many others. He also holds an NBA record for scoring 30.12 and 33.45 points per game respectively.
Net Worth, Salary & Income
As of now, Michael Jordan net worth is $1.75 Billion. The success of Nike’s Jordan Brand (which launched in late 1984) pushed Jordan’s net worth to $1.65 billion in March, 2018, ranking him as the 455th wealthiest person in the United States. His fortune in the bank account has largely been boosted not only by his career money but also by business. Michael Jordan has been one of the most marketed sports figures in the history of all sports. He has received numerous endorsement deals with companies such as Nike, Hanes, Upper Deck. McDonald’s, Chevrolet, Rayovac among others.
As of today, Michael Jordan on an annual basis he makes around $40 million. When MJ increased his ownership stake in NBA’s Charlotte Bobcats to 80% for $175 million in 2010, today the team value is worth $780 million. Being a businessman, he owns several restaurants and a car dealership. His cologne and golf company have also added something to Michael Jordan net worth.
10 THINGS YOU DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT MICHAEL JORDAN
Michael Jordan probably is the greatest basketballer there has ever been and a very popular sports iconic but despite what you might think you know about him there are some few facts that you probably don’t know apart from Michael Jordan net worth.
1. Aquaphobia. How many people do you know they have persistent and very abnormal fear of water? Well among the people you know please include Michael Jordan on the hot list. Michael couldn’t rescue a friend who once nearly drowned because he was afraid of water.
2. People have tattoos but do you know Michael Jordan too has one on his heart area which is written in Greek representing the word Omega. It was a symbol to prove membership of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity
3. Being that tall probably you would assume the parents are tall too. Well here is something to shock you since none of the parents were more than 5’9 tall.
4. Ever heard of Forbes list of top 10 most expensive divorces? Well in 1997 Michael Jordan took the topmost position in the list when he settled $150 million in a divorce.
5. What your all-time favorite comedy? Well for Michael Jordan “Sanford and Son “is his all-time favorite.
6. Have you ever heard people who love their hotel rooms being warm? Michael believes that when his hotel room is warm, it will help in awarding illness.
7. Being endorsed by Nike, he makes $100 million a year which is more than what he earned during his NBA career.
8. He became the first player since Wilt Chamberlin to score more than 3,000 points in a single season.
9. His wife, Yvette Prieto is a millionaire having a net worth of $1.5 million, most of her money comes from modeling for designers one being Alexander Wang.
10. After owning Charlotte Hornets in 2010, he became a billionaire which is worth $780 million as the team makes $158 million annually. In 2014, he increased his stake and owned 90% of the team.
Michael Jordan certainly is one of the best sportsmen the world has ever heard and no wonder he has been marketed on a huge scale. His numerous accolades all certify the success he has achieved over his career. Michael Jordan net worth is a clear representation of what smart investing can turn you to.