The founder and the CEO of Aftermath Entertainment and Beats electronics hasn’t really reached the billionaire status he initially claimed to be. Dr. Dre still ranks atop of the list of the wealthiest hip-hop artists at position No.3 just a few inches away from Jay Z and Diddy who took his position for the first time since 2014.
Dr. Dre is one of the greatest rappers alive; he is a man who has overseen careers of many today music icons such as Snoop Dogg, 50 Cent, Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, 2Pac among several others. With such a huge fascinating autobiography, one gets to ask what Dr. Dre’s net worth is as of 2018? Here is a detailed account of Dr. Dre net worth and few things you probably don’t know about him.
Dr. Dre or rather Andre Romelle Young hail from the Compton California where he was born in 1965. His father had an R&B group and though they divorced the mother. The mother of Dr. Dre divorced the father and would later remarry and would remarry again and that’s how rapper Warren G became a stepbrother. Dr. Dre was raised up by his grandmother, and he attended several schools such as Centennial High School but would later be transferred to Fremon High school since he was under-performing. After high school, Dr. Dre tried to seek admission in Northrop Aviation company, but his grades let him down. He didn’t have any interests at all in school work and music was his thing. One day the mother decided to buy him a music mixer, and that’s where everything began.
Dr. Dre music career started when he was young as he used to attend Eve After dark a club where DJs and rappers would perform live, and he would even become a DJ at this club. He would record several songs here, and that’s where he met Word Class Wreckin Cru that dominated the 1980s with west coast hip-hop. In 1986 he would meet Ice Cube, and together they would record songs for Ruthless Records, and there the first album which was a major success was Straight Outta Compton which has songs such as “
Fuck tha Police”. He produced other albums under Ruthless Records such as MuZical Madness, Livin Like Hustlers among others. Later on, after winning a Grammy Award in the category of Best Rap Solo artist, producing songs for artists such as Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, and 2Pac he would leave the label, and that’s when he decided to start his own label Aftermath Entertainment.
In the beginning, Aftermath Entertainment faced several difficulties among them financial problems and even the albums such as Dr. Dre Presents the Aftermath was met with negative reviews and criticism. Its turnaround came when they signed Eminem who was a white rapper Dr. Dre second album titled 2001 was highly successful and even charted at position No.2 on the Billboard 200 charts, and to this date, the album has been certified six times platinum and even made him win a Grammy Award on the producer of the year. Between the period of 2001 and 2007, Dr. Dre decided to focus his skills on producing albums for other artists and some of the artists he worked with then are Eminem, Mary J.Blige, 50 Cent, Raekwon, among others. In 2015 that was when he released his final album Compton album and followed by a film Straight Outta Compton.
Apart from music, Dr. Dre has appeared on several films among them Set it Off 1996, The Wash 2001, Training Day 2001 and 2015 Straight Outta Compton 2015. As an entrepreneur, he has released headphones that are popularly known as Beats by Dr. Dre, and that’s where he sold the brand to Apple Inc for $3 billion making him the wealthiest man in hip-hop.
Dr. Dre is a family man and has six children who are two daughters and four sons from 5 different women. He has been awarded many accolades among them 1 BET Hip Hop Award, 6 Grammy Awards, 2 MTV Video Music Awards, among others.
Net Worth, Salary & Earnings
As of 2018, Dr. Dre net worth is $770 million. Dre is a man who takes most of the credit for popularizing West Coast G-funk. Today he is the third richest rapper in the world and among the wealthiest celebrities in the world. Dr. Dre made his money after he sold Beats to apple for $3 billion which was the largest payment a musician has ever received in a day. In addition to money from Beats, he has also made his money through his career as an actor, producer, a rapper and a DJ.
7 Things you don’t know about Dr. Dre
Dr. Dre to many is the greatest rapper of all time and a perfect example of rags to riches true story example. He started from a very humble beginning, but as of today, he is one of the greatest and most successful figures in the music industry and in addition, he is a mentor to many. So you know that Dr. Dre once sold his Beats to Apple for a whopping $3 billion, but there is much more than just Dr. Dre net worth. So take a trip down the memory lane and discover the things you didn’t know about Dr. Dre
1. As of today, Dr. Dre has lost two brothers one. When he was just a year old, his brother died due to pneumonia, and the other one was a stepbrother who died due to a gang attack and a broken neck. Due to this, he dedicated the song “The message” to him.
2. Dr. Dre joined fatherhood when he was just 16 years, and he had a son whom he met 20 years late. The son we are talking about is “Hood Surgeon” who is a popular rapper.
3. Before meeting Eminem, he didn’t know that Eminem is not a black guy he is a white. The very first time he heard Eminem rap he thought he is black since rap is associated with black musicians.
4. You know Warren G right? He is a step-brother to Dr. Dre, and this was as a result of Dr. Dre mother being married to Warren G father. He is also the reason for meeting Snoop Dogg
5. He isn’t really a Dr. like Sean Combs who recently was awarded an honorary doctorate from Howard University. Actually, Dr. Dre is a high school dropout but does it matter when he has an estimated net worth of $770, I don’t think so. Sometimes talent and smartness can make a difference in someone’s life.
6. One of his sons named Andre Young Jr died at the age of 20 from an overdose of morphine and heroin. That was after the autopsy report.
7. Dr. Dre has a long ugly history of hitting women. He once hit Dee Barnes a host, ex-girlfriend Michelle, and Tairrie B. although he apologized and blamed the situation on his age then we aren’t quite convinced he was genuine.
Dr. Dre’s worth of $770 million is an indication that talent, when natured and exploited well, can have a significant reward equal or greater than education. For those who have given up on education just think what else can you do and what’s are you best in and tap into that gift and sooner or later you might reap off the benefits that come along with being the best at what you do.